View the 2013 Bulfinch Award Winners
2014 Bulfinch Awards
The New England Chapter of the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art is pleased to announce its fifth annual Bulfinch Awards. Named for Boston Architect Charles Bulfinch (1763-1844), America's first native-born architect and designer of the Massachusetts State House, the awards recognize the best work of individuals and firms to preserve and advance the classical tradition in New England.
- Residential (Restoration, Renovation, or Addition)
- Residential (New Construction) over 5,000 SF
- Residential (New Construction) under 5,000 SF
- Interior Design
- Landscape Architecture
- Student Portfolio
- Entrants must be individuals or firms with addresses within the six New England states: Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont and Connecticut (with the exception of Fairfield County, which falls under the chapter jurisdiction of the New York organization) with the exception of the student portfolio category.
- Submitted projects must also be geographically located within the same six states, also with the exception of Fairfield County, Connecticut and have been completed in the past ten years (July 2004).
- Built projects must have been completed within the past ten years (July 2004).
- Entrants for the student portfolio category must be currently enrolled or recent graduates (not more than two years) of an undergraduate, masters, or certificate program located in the United States. Entrants must be U.S. residents.
- By submitting these materials you acknowledge you are fully authorized to submit this entry either as your own project or on behalf of the designer(s) and that you have the right to utilize all the photographs, drawings, and printed materials included in the submission.
- All entry materials become the property of the Bulfinch Awards and will not be returned. By entering, entrant agrees that entry materials may be used at the discretion of the Bulfinch Awards and the ICA&A for awards presentations and marketing related to the Bulfinch Awards.
- Previous winning projects are not eligible for entry.
Our esteemed jury for this year’s award program are:
Gary L. Brewer, AIA, Board of Directors of the national ICAA and partner at Robert A.M. Stern Architects, New York, New York
Michael G. Imber, FAIA, principal Michael G. Imber Architects, San Antonio, Texas and winner of the 2010, 2011 and 2013 Palladio Award as well as the ICAA- Texas 2011, 2012, 2013 John Staub Award
Russell Versaci, AIA, principal Russell Versaci Architecture, Middleburg, Virginia, author and a champion for traditional architecture
The winners of the Bulfinch Awards will be recognized at an evening ceremony and reception at the Massachusetts State House in Boston on Wednesday, November 12th, 2014. The winners are expected to attend or send a representative to accept their award. Winners will also be asked to provide digital images of their winning entries to accompany the presentation of awards at the ceremony. Further details will be provided in August.
A public exhibit of selected entries and winners will be held at various locations throughout the year. Exhibit locations may include the Boston Society of Architects, the Boston Architectural College, the Ellis Boston Antiques Show, and the Massachusetts State House. Selected firms will be contacted in August to provide a single vertical format 24”x36” display board including the designer’s name, logo, and choice of images to describe the submitted project. Printing and mounting costs may apply. Further details will be provided in August.
All entries must be received no later than June 30, 2014.
All submittal-related questions should be directed to the Bulfinch Awards Committee.
For the full submission guidelines, fees, and entry form, please view the following PDFs: